User login


Academic Withdrawal

The University uses the term withdrawal to formally indicate that a student has dropped or will drop all courses for a given term. Withdrawing from the university differs from dropping one or several classes within a given term, because as long as a student retains at least one class, he or she is still considered to be registered for that term. 


A withdrawal is done in consultation with the deans or advisors in your school. A statement will be added to your transcript indicating that you have withdrawn from the University. Depending on the date of withdrawal, you may be entitled to some pro-rated refund of tuition. In most cases, ancillary fees will remain on your account, in addition to a $75 withdrawal fee. 


View refund percentages for withdrawals.


It is important to consult with your school to be informed of how the withdrawal will affect your standing, degree pursuit, privileges, and conditions for return. 


Summer Term Withdrawals

Summer terms have very abbreviated withdrawal schedules based on the individual sub-terms. Professional Studies withdrawal schedules are also based on individual sub-terms. The Professional Studies Summer Bulletin is helpful when considering a summer withdrawal from the Summer Session. Students in other schools or programs should contact their school's deans or student affairs office for more information on summer term withdrawals.


See also Registration & Enrollment.


Financial aid applied to the student account may also be adjusted as a result of withdrawal; see the University Financial Aid pages on Withdrawal for Undergraduates (link is external) and Withdrawal for Graduate Students (link is external).


American Language Program Withdrawals

The American language Program within the School of Professional Studies maintains a slightly different withdrawal policy and procedure. For more information, visit the ALP Website.